Cooking on an Outdoor Griddle is a unique culinary experience – and many people fall in love with this technique when trying it for the first time. To help you pick out the Best Outdoor Griddle for your needs, we’ve spent hours researching the 10 best outdoor griddles on the market and which one will suit you the best.
Today, it’s prevalent for serious grill enthusiasts to own their own outdoor kitchen griddle – as a way to enhance their outdoor cooking. And whether it’s a full-size gas griddle, a portable propane griddle, or a griddle pan for your grill, there are many useful types of griddles to choose from.
What is an Outdoor Griddle?
An Outdoor Griddle is a highly useful piece of outdoor cooking equipment – used to cook food on a Flat top surface. Outdoor griddles are available as a Full-Size Gas Griddle, Portable Gas Griddle, or as a Griddle Pan laid on top of a Gas grill rack.
Types of Outdoor Griddles:
What is the best outdoor griddle? Depending on what “Size” of Griddle you need, the best full-size griddle (for deck or patio) we recommend is the Blackstone 1554 with LP gas. For tailgating or camping the best Mid-size Griddle is the Cuisinart CG-501 portable LP gas griddle, and lastly, the Best Griddle “Pan” is The Sizzle SQ180. (See description below for all griddles).
The Three (3) Different Types of Outdoor Griddles:
- The first type is a “Full-Size” griddle on legs or caster wheels, which is a non-portable format meant to sit outside – much as your regular Grill does. Functioning in some ways similar to a Grill, The Full Sized griddle has storage for an LP Tank, is countertop height, and has wheels for mobility on your patio or deck. (Shown in the lead photo above – And the Editors Pick Outdoor Griddle from Blackstone).
- Second up is the “Portable” griddle type, which allows you to move around as necessary, and can be used on the ground or tabletop. Because of its smaller size, this is probably the best griddle for camping, and the best griddle for tailgaters to use. (See example below: The Runner-Up Griddle Pan from Cuisinart).
- Finally, there are “Griddle Pans.” These handy inventions are grill accessories meant to be set on your existing grill, allowing you to cook with a griddle, but without having to invest in a stand-alone griddle that requires its own heat source. (See example below: Best Value Griddle Pan from Sizzle-Q)
In this griddle reviews article, you’ll find everything you need to know about self-contained LP propane griddles, and pan griddles (used on top of an existing outdoor grill).
Editor’s Choice: Blackstone 1554 – Outdoor Griddle
With four independent burners, durable construction standards, and a large Blackstone 36″ griddle space, the Not-So-Portable Griddle from Blackstone 1554 stands out as the best overall griddle grill in our top griddle reviews. Uses an LP gas tank (like a grill – not included in purchase)
Whether you’re looking for something to cook large family breakfasts on or a versatile griddle, or grilling outdoors for parties, the Blackstone Flat Top is the best full-scale griddle option.
- Four burners
- Caster wheels
- 720 square inch cooking space (22 x 36″)
- Push-button ignition
- Steel construction – 60″ overall (with side shelves)
- 90 Day Warranty on All Parts
Overall, the Blackstone 1554 is a fantastic griddle that will more than get the job done when it comes to your outdoor griddle cooking. For searing burgers or cooking eggs outside, there are few better options.
The one downside to this model is a less than adequate grease capture system that can sometimes allow grease to run over. Fix this by replacing it with a larger grease catch receptacle.
Besides that slight flaw, though, this really is one of the best propane griddles you’ll find for your patio – on the market today.
Runner Up: Cuisinart CGG-501 – Outdoor Griddle
This Cuisinart model stands out as the best “portable propane griddle” on the market. While the Blackstone offers lots of cooking space, the Cuisinart griddle is much more compact, making it perfect for mobile grilling.
At the same time, it very much demonstrates the quality that buyers have come to expect from the Cuisinart brand.
- 285 square inch cooking space
- 20,000 Btu’s
- LP gas Built-In Hose
- Two burners
- Twist-to-start ignition and controls
- Steel construction
In our evaluation, we found this portable griddle does an excellent job with foods of all kinds. At 285 square inches, it’s small enough to be portable without being so tiny as to be unusable for cooking for groups.
If you’re looking to use a griddle grill for outdoor events – or at your home, while still being able to relocate it when necessary, the Cuisinart CGG-501 is likely the best option for you.
Best Value Griddle Pan: “Sizzle-Q” – Model SQ180
Now to griddle pans that used on standard gas or charcoal grills, our first pick is this handy but very high-quality stainless steel pan from Sizzle-Q.
The beauty of a griddle pan like this is that you just set it on your current grill – without the need to go out and spend the price of dedicated outdoor flat grills.
- Stainless steel construction
- Cross bracing for extra support
- Even heat distribution
This griddle grill top is perfect for the person who wants the cooking convenience of a griddle without having to purchase an entirely new appliance.